The vision of Trout Unlimited (TU) is to ensure that robust populations of native and wild coldwater fish once again thrive within their North American range, so that our children can enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters. Trout in the Classroom (TIC) brings the importance of this vision directly to the members of this next generation, allowing them to discover it for themselves. A network of teachers, supported by local chapters of TU, pursue this goal.
TIC is a unique way to teach the relevance of watersheds.
Trout are indicator species; their abundance directly reflects the quality of the water in which they live. In the TIC program, students grow to care about their trout and then the habitat in which trout live. As the program progresses, students learn to see connections between the trout, water resources, the environment, and themselves.
What does TIC require?
- An aquarium set up to provide cold, clean, fresh water. Equipment lists are provided.
- A state-approved source of eggs.
- A state-approved field study and release site in a coldwater stream habitat.
- A year-long commitment to care for the trout as they grow.
How is TIC Supported?
- Our TIC Coordinator maintains contact with teachers in the program.
- Our chapter coordinator delivers eggs hatched by the state of Connecticut.
- Our chapter coordinator will order, deliver and set up the aquarium for new schools joining the program.
- TU Chapters and other partners can sponsor one or more schools by providing funding, equipment, technical support, classroom guest speakers, and guidance during field work.
- Members of TU can help classes by sharing their expertise in conservation, stream restoration, fly-tying, trout biology, invertebrate identification, fly casting, and outdoor sports activities.
- Information for both teachers and volunteers(technical tips, lesson ideas, and FAQ section) can be found at www.troutintheclassroom.org.
Are you interested in helping to begin a TIC program in your children’s school? Please contact our TIC Coordinator for further information.